Thursday, May 11, 2006

INTRODUCTION

Dick Smith's Do-It-Yourself Monster Make-Up
In 1965, under the Famous Monsters of Filmland imprimatur, movie make-up guy Dick Smith published a little booklet called Do-It-Yourself Monster Make-Up, which he later republublished, in book form. In it, he explained, step-by-step, how to create movie monsters and special effects of increasing sophistication, but all geared toward the crafty young boy or girl who might later go on to make Super-8 movies staring these homemake monsters.

It is our plan to go through this book and create every single monster and make-up effect that Smith describes, although perhaps not in the order he indicates. We shall document this, and then we shall make our own little movies. We are Max Sparber, a playwright, arts critic, and sometimes actor, and Courtney Mault, an aspiring horror makeup artists with at least one film credit -- the independently shot Risen, in which Max appeared as a chinless zombie.

Note: We encourage you to buy Dick Smith's book if you plan to attempt these experiments yourself. We will only be describing how we do it in themost general of terms -- for the more complex details of applying makeup, Smith's book is chock-full of excellent advice.

technorati tags: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Blogger Rain said...

Love your site!

As a kid, I had a Dick Smith make-up kit. It came in a large box, and had scar molds and this gel powder that you'd use for the molds. I think it also had spirit gum, and some fake blood, and other things. I was hoping to find some images of it somewhere on the 'net. No luck so far. Was wondering if you guys have ever come across it?

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I had that makeup kit as well. It was really cool. I've never seen anything on it anywhere.

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Jerry Glover said...

I own a Dick Smith TV & Movie Horror Makeup Kit! I found it recently at a sale. It isn't quite complete, doesn't have the blood, but the "flex flesh" mixture is still in it's packet, and all the spoons and moulds are there. Probably the coolest thing is the booklet which has lots of diagrams and instructions by Dick Smith. I alwya swanted one when I was a kid so it's a real treasure for me.

 
At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this magazine in my grandfathers attic. It was the orginal print!!!!!!

 
At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this book in my grand fathers attic when I was 13 (1982) It was so cool!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home